Wayne State Historical Timeline

Historical timeline

1868 - 1897

1868

Detroit Medical College (predecessor to the School of Medicine) founded

1881

Detroit Normal Training School (predecessor to the College of Education) founded

1885

Detroit Medical College and Michigan Medical College merge to create the Detroit College of Medicine

1894

Detroit College of Medicine publishes first edition of its student magazine, The Leucocyte

1896

Central High School building completed

1898 - 1927

1904

David Mackenzie named principal of Central High School

1913

First college classes held at Central High School

Detroit College of Medicine reorganized and renamed Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery

1915

College classes at Central High School become accredited by North Central Association

1917

Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery admits first female students

Detroit Normal Training School begins admitting married women

Detroit Junior College becomes authorized by the state legislature and begins offering two-year liberal arts and sciences program

1918

Detroit Junior College publishes first edition of its student newspaper, The Collegian, and adopts old gold and Kelly green as school colors

Detroit Normal Training School begins admitting male students and introduces first evening classes and summer session

Control of the Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery is transferred to the Detroit Board of Education

1920

Detroit Normal Training School upgraded to four-year institution and renamed the Detroit Teachers College

1923

Detroit Junior College upgraded to four-year institution and renamed the College of the City of Detroit (also known as City College)

David Mackenzie named dean of the College of the City of Detroit

1924

Detroit Teachers College awards first bachelor’s degrees

1925

College of the City of Detroit celebrates first graduating class

1926

High school classes move from Central High School building, which is designated the Main Building of the College of the City of Detroit

1927

College of the City of Detroit adopts Tartars as mascot

Detroit Law School founded

1928 - 1957

1928

College of Pharmacy founded

1929

Department of Engineering established

1930

Department of Nursing established

Detroit Teachers College moves to Main Building

1933

Detroit Board of Education combines six colleges — liberal arts, education, pharmacy, engineering, medicine and a graduate school — into one university, with Frank Cody named president

1934

Wayne University adopted as name

1935

School of Social Affairs founded

Wayne University holds first homecoming

1936

School of Social Affairs renamed School of Public Affairs and Social Work

1937

Detroit City Law School accredited by American Bar Association and incorporated into Wayne University as Law School

1939

Department of Business Administration established

1941

Wayne University Press (later renamed Wayne State University Press) formed

1942

Architect Suren Pilafian wins competition for developing master plan for Wayne University campus

University purchases first block of campus real estate (Warren to Putnam, west of Cass)

College of Medicine staffs 36th General Hospital in Europe, which operates throughout WWII in Algiers, Naples and three cities in southern France

Horace H. Rackham Building becomes first new building completed in the Cultural Center of Detroit since 1927

Warren E. Bow named president of Wayne University

1943

University purchases Michigan College of Mortuary Science and renames it Department of Mortuary Science

1944

University purchases second block of campus real estate (Putnam to Merrick)

The Office of Veteran Affairs established to help World War II veterans continue education, enter vocational training programs and find jobs

1945

College of Nursing founded

University purchases third block of campus real estate (Merrick to Kirby)

David D. Henry named president of Wayne University

1946

University purchases Webster Hall hotel and renames it the Student Center Building

The School of Business Administration was established

1947

Veteran enrollment peaks at 7,685 students in the fall

1948

State Hall completed

University awards first doctoral degree in biochemistry

1949

Postwar enrollment peaks at 18,612 students during calendar year

1950

Main Building officially renamed Old Main

School of Social Work given separate status from the School of Public Affairs

1952

Engineering Building at 5050 Third Avenue completed

Radio station WDET-FM given to university by UAW-CIO

Clarence B. Hilberry named president of Wayne University

1953

General Library and Science Library completed

1954

Medical Science Building (later renamed Health Sciences Building) completed at 1401 Rivard (street later transforms into Chrysler Service Drive)

Tartar Field debuts north of Ford Expressway

1955

Music Building of Community Arts Center completed

1956

State legislature approves Public Act 183, granting state control and support of the university, which becomes Wayne State University

Art Building of Community Art Center completed

War Memorial Mall dedicated

University purchases Bonstelle Playhouse and renames it Wayne University Theatre (and later Bonstelle Theatre)

1958 - 1967

1958

University Archives formed

Minoru Yamasaki presents master plan for campus

McGregor Memorial Community Conference Center completed

1959

First six-member Wayne State University Board of Governors appointed after statewide election, completing transfer to state control

Monteith College founded

Community Arts Auditorium, Alumni House/President’s home and Richard Cohn Memorial Building completed

University purchases Bliss Motors Building and renames it Administrative Services Building

Last of temporary barrack classrooms demolished

1960

College of Education Building and Life Science Building completed

1961

Student Center Building renamed David Mackenzie Hall

University purchases Chatsworth Tower and Chatsworth Annex

University purchases First Church of Christ, Scientist and renames it Hilberry Theatre

The Office of Counseling for the Handicapped established at a time when Wayne State was one of 11 universities in the nation to provide inclusive services for disabled students

1963

Helen Newberry Joy Residence for Women (now Reuther Mall) completed

1964

Second Avenue closed to motor vehicles and becomes the center of campus

Helen L. DeRoy Auditorium completed

1965

Shapero Hall, Physics Research Building and Medical Research Building completed

William R. Keast named president of Wayne State University

1966

Law School Building on Ferry Mall completed

Wayne State University Police Department established

1967

The South End replaces The Daily Collegian as Wayne State’s student newspaper to expand coverage outside of the university to topics such as civil rights and the Vietnam War

Frederick C. Matthaei Physical Education and Recreation Building completed

Center for Urban Studies established

1968 - 1977

1968

Vera Shiffman Medical Library completed

Wayne State celebrates its centennial

Third Avenue renamed Anthony Wayne Drive

1969

University Center (new student center) completed

1970

Speech and Languages Building, Chemistry Building, and Science Library completed

College of Pharmacy launches Ph.D. program

1971

General Lectures Building completed

Campus installs blue light phone system, a direct line to Wayne State University Police Department

George E. Gullen, Jr., named president of Wayne State University

1972

Gordon H. Scott Hall of Basic Medical Sciences completed

Center for Chicano-Boricua Studies in Monteith College established

General Library renamed G. Flint Purdy Library (ultimately becomes Purdy/Kresge Library)

1973

College of Lifelong Learning founded

School of Social Work begins offering bachelor’s degrees

1974

Helen L. DeRoy Apartments completed

Wayne State joins Great Lakes Intercollegiate Conference

University dedicates Reuther Mall and Ludington Plaza

College of Pharmacy and Division of Allied Health Programs merge into the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions

1975

Walter P. Reuther Library completed

College of Nursing launches Ph.D. program

Preservation Wayne (later renamed Preservation Detroit) formed

Board of Governors votes to end Monteith College and complete phase out by 1981

Speech and Languages Building renamed Alex Manoogian Hall

1976

Warren Avenue widened

Medical Research Building renamed Helen Vera Prentis Lande Medical Research Building

1978 - 1987

1978

University purchases Thompson Home for Old Ladies

Thomas Bonner named president of Wayne State University

1979

Second Avenue Mall renamed Gullen Mall

1981

Wayne State acquires Merrill Palmer Institute for Child Development, which later merges with Skillman Center for Children and Families to form the Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute for Child & Family Development

1982

David Adamany, Wayne State’s longest-serving president, begins his tenure

1984

Health Sciences Building renamed Shapero Hall

Barnes and Noble begins operating the Wayne State Bookstore

Detroit Area Gay/Lesbian Council holds inaugural Pride Festival at Wayne State

1985

College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs and College of Fine and Performing Arts founded

Mortuary Science begins offering bachelor’s degree

Shapero Hall renamed Natural Science Building and Science Library renamed Science and Engineering Library

1987

University dedicates Frederick Linsell House as the Office of the Dean for the College of Fine and Performing Arts

1988 - 1997

1988

Programs in Speech and Rhetorical Processes, Journalism and Radio-TV-Film transferred from the College of Liberal Arts to the College of Fine and Performing Arts

1989

Department of Africana Studies established

University purchases St. Andrew’s Memorial Episcopal Church

College of Fine and Performing Arts renamed College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts

1990

Wayne State University and the University of Windsor sign exchange agreement

Faculty/Administration Building completed

University restores William Rands House to serve as the School of Business Annex

1991

David Mackenzie Hall demolished by implosion

Biological Sciences Building completed

1992

College of Science founded

1994

Wayne State University classified as a Research I university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching

Old Main begins major renovation

Wayne State University Press moves to Leonard N. Simons Building

1995

Academic/Administrative Building and University Tower Apartments completed

1996

Manufacturing Engineering Building completed

Planetarium addition completed in Old Main

1997

David Adamany Undergraduate Library and Elaine L. Jacob Gallery addition of Old Main completed

Irvin D. Reid named president of Wayne State

1998 - 2007

1999 Warriors replace Tartars as school mascot
2000 Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center and addition to Law School completed
2001 College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions renamed Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
2002

North Residence Hall, Welcome Center, Wayne State University Bookstore, and Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences completed

University purchases Maccabees Building

University launches online system for course registration

2003 South Residence Hall completed
2004

First phase of TechTown completed

Helen Newberry Joy Residence Hall demolished

2005

Towers Residential Suites completed

College of Science merges with College of Liberal Arts, becoming the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

North Hall renamed Yousif B. Ghafari Hall

Chatsworth Annex demolished

2008 - 2017

2008

Irvin D. Reid Honors College founded

Jay Noren named president of Wayne State

2009 School of Library and Information Science founded
2011

Allan Gilmour named president of Wayne State

Warrior Football makes its debut in an NCAA Division II national championship game

The Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights opens to study and support the civil rights of underrepresented communities in urban areas 

2013 M. Roy Wilson named president of Wayne State
2014 Advanced Technology Education Center (ATEC) debuts in Warren, Michigan 
2015 Integrative Biosciences Center, a $90-million facility dedicated to eliminating health disparities in Detroit, debuts 
2016 The Mike Ilitch School of Business breaks ground on new headquarters in the District Detroit 
2017

Wayne State breaks ground on Anthony Wayne Drive Apartments, which will add 841 beds to campus

School of Library and Information Science renamed School of Information Sciences

2018 Wayne State University commemorates 150th anniversary